NVIDIA has announced the arrival of the next wave of super phones, powered
by NVIDIA Tegra 2, the world’s first mobile super chip.
These new super phones go beyond today’s smartphones, delivering unprecedented
multimedia experiences that take fuller advantage of faster network download
speeds and higher bandwidth.
Smartphones start with four-inch-plus screens, single-core 1 GHz mobile processors,
five-plus megapixels cameras, and multiple microphones – which enable a
decent video and gaming experience. The new super phones use powerful multi-core
CPU processors, lightning-fast GPUs and ultralow power requirements – which
create magical video and gaming experiences.
“Real super phones require real super chips,” said Ben Barjarin,
Principal at Creative Strategies Inc. “The new super phones being unveiled
at CES will become an essential mobile computing device. And Tegra delivers
these mobile computing capabilities for super phones better than anything else
on the market.”
Their seamless multitasking and support for hardware-accelerated Adobe Flash
Player begin the process of merging the smartphone, with a game console and
multimedia device. The result is a mobile web experience capable of console-quality,
multi-player, cross-platform gaming, as well as enormous flexibility in terms
of carrying out multiple tasks at once.
One of the first devices in this next wave of super phones is the new LG Optimus
2X powered by Tegra 2.
Tegra 2 Highlights:
- The Tegra 2 super chip turbocharges the super phone category and brings
a new wave of devices to life with never-before-seen experiences. It features:
- Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU – The world’s first mobile dual-core
CPU for faster Web browsing, snappier response time and better overall
- Ultra-low powered (ULP) NVIDIA GeForce GPU – the ULP GeForce GPU
delivers outstanding mobile 3D game playability and a visually engaging,
highly responsive 3D user interface
- 1080p Video Playback Processor – Watch 1080p HD movies stored on
your mobile device on your HDTV, without compromising battery life.
- Tegra 2 enables new mobile media and gaming capabilities:
- For the first time, consumers will be able to game with multiple players
using different types of devices. For example, a Tegra 2-powered super
phone or tablet can be used to play with players on a desktop PC.
- NVIDIA demonstrated a prototype of Skype HD video calling on an Android
tablet at its CES 2011 press conference. NVIDIA developed a reference
implementation of HD video conferencing on Tegra 2-based tablets using
SkypeKit. SkypeKit is a collection of software and APIs that allows virtually
any Internet connected device to offer Skype voice and video calls.
- NVIDIA introduced the Tegra Zone app. It allows consumers to find Tegra-optimized
games for their super phone or tablet, along with professional game reviews,
high-res screenshots, HD video trailers, gameplay videos, and behind-the-scenes
featurettes. Consumers can complete their purchase of Tegra Zone games
on the Android Market.
- The LG Optimus 2X is the fast and hyper performance super phone:
- The Optimus 2X delivers faster performance, seamless multi-tasking,
full HDMI and true visual gaming for a better user experience.
- Key specifications include
- 4-inch WVGA screen
- 8GB memory (up to 32GB via microSD)
- 1,500 mAh battery
- 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
- HDMI mirroring
- 1080p MPEG-4/H.264 playback and recording
- For more information and product images, please visit LG’s online
press kit at www.lgnewsroom.com/CES2011.
Details can’t yet be provided for other super phones that will be announced
shortly at CES.
- “We’ve entered the super phone era. People are looking at their
mobile device as a computer first and a phone second. Tegra’s brought
the super phone to another level with new mobile experiences that haven’t
been possible before.”
- Michael Rayfield, General Manager of the Mobile business at NVIDIA
- “We are very excited about the trusted partnership with NVIDIA, and
also very proud of the result of the collaboration: the LG Optimus 2X. This
Tegra 2-powered dual-core super phone will set the new standard in the smartphone
industry, delivering users a new-dimensional smartphone experience. LG also
looks forward to future partnerships with NVIDIA that will further promote
our shared passion for innovation.”
- Yongseok Jang, Vice President of Business Strategy team, LG Electronics
Mobile Communications Company
- ”As a close and longtime partner of NVIDIA, we are excited to see how
rapidly the performance of mobile phones is advancing. With Tegra 2, NVIDIA
continues to push the boundaries and delivers a chip that offers amazing content
experiences for next generation devices.”
- Danny Winokur, Vice President, Flash Runtime at Adobe
- "We are excited that NVIDIA has leveraged SkypeKit to build a reference
implementation of HD video calling on Android Tablets. In the near future,
consumers will be able to make video calls from their Tegra-powered Tablets
to anyone else using Skype, whether it’s on a PC, Mac, TVs, or phones.”
- Manrique Brenes, Director of Business Development at Skype
- “Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix
experience to Android super phones and tablets. We’re working closely
with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra’s outstanding
acceleration and security capabilities.”
- Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix
- "It’s time for the next gaming revolution. Tegra 2 holds the power
of a console in the palm of your hands. Games like Dungeon Defender are in
true HD, and more realistic, interactive and challenging on devices with Tegra
- Jeremy Stieglitz, Development Director at Trendy Entertainment